Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Fan and More

Today’s top Filipino boxer, Manny Pacquiao, had a boxing match today with Mexico's Marco Antonio Barrera. I’m not really a boxing fan really but my husband is. The fight was shown at about noon time here and our TV was tuned in to the local station here covering the match as early as 9:00 am. I guess other boxing fans here and abroad did the same thing as well.

What really amazed me was when I heard that some people were betting on the match. Some Filipinos even placed bets against Manny Pacquiao. And the amount of the bet was pretty big. Well, for me it was big but maybe for them it was nothing. One of my neighbors lost P50,000 when the judges gave a unanimous decision in favor of the Filipino boxer. That’s more than a thousand bucks in the US currency! I also even heard of others going beyond that.

Maybe that’s just their way of entertainment or having fun. Sure, they can afford it and I don’t mean to be preachy but I just think that maybe it would have been better if the money was used to help the poor instead. Anyway, it’s their money so I guess it’s their choice. I just wish more people would think of helping others rather than gambling and losing large sums of money just like that.

No comments: