Saturday, September 29, 2007

Choosing Your Job

It is very important to choose your job and employers well, not just for the sake of being choosy but being reasonably choosy as well. I can still remember what one of my professors had told us. He said if you were to commit mistakes in choosing your job or your employer, do it in the first two years after graduation. He said do it at that time because if you keep on changing jobs, it wouldn't look good on your resume later on. And if you can, at least work for your company at a minimum of one year before changing jobs.

I, being so young and I guess naive at that time, thought, "Well, I'm not going to make mistakes. I'm going to get a job that I love." But things aren't that simple. You can send hundreds of applications, but companies don't reply immediately. You would have to endure the waiting period until the first company contacts you. By the time that happens, you would think that it's the only company interested in you. Then you would be so eager to maybe accept whatever they offer you.

My advice is don't be so in a hurry to grab unto that first job offer unless of course it's the job you really wanted and the offer is really good. Wait for the next job offer, compare the two and choose the better offer. If you really need a job immediately, another thing you can do is you can accept the job, but be open for other offers. Always check out other offers before you reject them. Again, as I've said do not this too often. Make calculated moves. Always think twice before you decide to take any job offer.

No comments: