Friday, September 28, 2007

Be Flexible

Things don't always go as planned. No matter how well you have planned your day or your life, there are just things which are beyond your control. So you have to be flexible. You need to be able to adjust to your current situation and be able to steer yourself back on track again. Sometimes you even need to change your whole plan depending on the circumstances presented before you.

I have always wanted to be an accountant. Boring!!! Anyway, for me it was something I really wanted to do. I've always been mathematically inclined. I enjoyed numbers and wanted to go into business as well. But I also wanted to study in a specific university, not only because it was one of the best, if not the best, in the country because I could go there almost entirely free of charge. We weren't financial very well off so this was a very important consideration. I also didn't want to impose on parents so much.

As it turned out I passed the entrance exam to go to that university but not to the course I wanted. So I still opted to go to that school and quickly chose another course. I was a little disappointed but I was also excited to enter college at that time. Not everyone could go there because only a small percentage passes the entrance exams every year. So I still felt very fortunate.

When I got there I did very well in my first year. But it was not enough to get accepted to the accounting course which was my original plan. Again, that was another mishap in my plans. But this time I told myself I should maybe choose something else which is closely related to that course. So I ended up finishing business economics instead.

Some people may have been discouraged or may have felt hopeless. Others may have just spent so many years in college shifting from one course to another or transferring universities. That was not the case for me. I quickly realigned my plan and stood by it. I graduated on time and got a job two months after graduation.

This is but only one example. Maybe it's even just a very simple one. Life's trials come in small and large packages. You don't know what life is going to throw at you. You just need to accept them as they are. Do not dwell on the problems. Instead, concentrate on how you can go around them and be on the smooth road again.

No comments: